Saturday 16 January 2016

Fall Out 4 in My Dressing Gown

Sometimes the words seem to fall from my finger tips, it’s as though I have little involvement in the process at all; I sit, I type and the story practically writes itself. Sometimes I appear to float through my working day nothing hinders me and all runs smoothly whereas other times everything annoys me, everything is difficult and my back aches.

On Monday with aching back I had inspiration; so I sat on the sofa with many cushions for support and typed away on the lap top. The story didn’t quite work, the story would have made a good poem, the poem turned out to be rubbish; never mind perhaps I will return to it sometime.

On Tuesday and Wednesday I played Fall Out 4, but got stuck in a lengthy cut scene just before bed time.

On Thursday I arrived home with books from the library and minimal back pain. I had lesson inspiration and sat on the sofa underlining passages, jotting down ideas and making lists. By Friday evening the inspiration had waned somewhat but I made some progress and developed my ideas further. I went to bed with plans. I visualized the next day, the Saturday morning kitchen table, piled high with books and notes and progression.

It did not rain on Saturday, the sky was blue, the morning was bright, all the signs were there for a productive day and yet I completely couldn’t be arsed. My inspiration, my motivation, aspiration, get up and go, my entrepreneurial spirit, my drive, my passion, my sense of purpose, had; during the night utterly dissipated and it took several hours before I even managed to get out of my dressing gown.

I thought I’d get on with it after lunch, which I didn’t. I did nothing. I wasn’t down, or depressed, or tired or run into the ground. I just couldn’t be bothered and yet I’m awfully uncomfortable with that.

Society is constantly telling me I should do things. Those facebook photos with the pictures of nice skies and the like are telling me not to lose one single day, to DO IT NOW, to get up and smell the coffee, the roses, and so on. I should have been walking on the beach, baking a cake, making a thing, working a manuscript, listening to music, practicing Yoga, even casting a spell, yet I couldn’t even be bothered with my Sims.

Friday night I was reading about Belbin's theory of team types, yet another archetype thing, some people are innovators, some are coordinators you know the how it goes; and I couldn’t but help think; as I always do with archetypes, that depending on my mood, I am any one of those types.

From one day to the next I can be  the type that cannot be arsed. I can be the type that spends all day in a dressing gown, I can sit in my shack in Fall Out 4; gaze onto the partially cleared street I’ve created and not even bother with one single quest.

And that’s OK because the next day I can be a go getter again!




No comments:

Post a Comment